You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No longer able to hide photos synced from my laptop using the share and hide option or even the three dots

In the past, if I had a folder with synced photos from my computer/laptop that included some I wanted to keep private, I could simply select the ones I wanted to hide by clicking on them. A blue check mark would appear in the upper right hand corner.

Then I could hit the share option (upward arrow) and one of the options would be to hide. In this way I could hide many photos very quickly.

Now this share option does not exist for any of my photos (whether synced from my laptop or just recently taken).

There is still the option to hide a photo when you open each individual photo and tap on the three dots option, but this ONLY works for photos that I have taken with the camera.

It DOES NOT work for photos that are synced from my computer/laptop.

Does anyone know how to get this to work again from photos synced from the laptop/computer? I presume the same issue exists for iCloud photos, but don't know this.

Ideally I would have a way to replicate the original option to hide a large number of photos simply by selecting them without having to open each photo individually to reveal the three dot option.

Suggestions? Work arounds?

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 8:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 12:18 AM

It seems no longer to be possible to hide synced photos, if you use the manual syncing from the Finde for with iTunes from a window PC. Synced photos are having quite a few limitations, as they are not imported to the Photos Library, but managed separately.

You could switch to the automatic syncing with iCloud Photos. Photos synced with iCloud Photos can still be hidden, as they are properly imported to the Photos Library and are having many advantages - all adjustments will be synced between all devices, all metadata we add, and they are synced ate full resolution.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 3, 2023 12:18 AM in response to hansolo415

It seems no longer to be possible to hide synced photos, if you use the manual syncing from the Finde for with iTunes from a window PC. Synced photos are having quite a few limitations, as they are not imported to the Photos Library, but managed separately.

You could switch to the automatic syncing with iCloud Photos. Photos synced with iCloud Photos can still be hidden, as they are properly imported to the Photos Library and are having many advantages - all adjustments will be synced between all devices, all metadata we add, and they are synced ate full resolution.

No longer able to hide photos synced from my laptop using the share and hide option or even the three dots

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.