You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect a second screen?

Hello!

I got an AOC screen on my Mac Studio, with two HDMI connections. I bought a second screen (a Samsung) I want to connect to my Mac Studio as well. How do I do this?

I tried to connect the new screen into one of the free HDMI-slots on the "main" screen, but it did not work.

Could it work with an HDMI/USB-C connection to the back of the Mac?

//

Thanks for any replies!

Posted on Oct 16, 2023 8:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2023 8:39 AM

AOC: 1920 by 1080

connectivity:

HDMI 1.4 x 2 (only)

Samsung LS24D390

1920 by 1080

connectivity:

HDMI 1 each

one or the other can be used with a USB-C -> HDMI adapter/cable

For 1920 by 1080 (but NOT higher) you can use a front USB port if you need to, because the date rate required is just under 10 G bits/sec. For higher resolutions, a back port would be required.

in general, HDMI cables you want for HDMI-only Displays (higher resolutions than 720p TV sets) are marked as Certified with an anti-counterfeiting tag and are labeled:

"Premium High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "with Ethernet" --OR--

"Ultra High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "48G"

Cables with No Certification tags are good for your standard 720p TV set, and not much more.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 16, 2023 8:39 AM in response to Xathan

AOC: 1920 by 1080

connectivity:

HDMI 1.4 x 2 (only)

Samsung LS24D390

1920 by 1080

connectivity:

HDMI 1 each

one or the other can be used with a USB-C -> HDMI adapter/cable

For 1920 by 1080 (but NOT higher) you can use a front USB port if you need to, because the date rate required is just under 10 G bits/sec. For higher resolutions, a back port would be required.

in general, HDMI cables you want for HDMI-only Displays (higher resolutions than 720p TV sets) are marked as Certified with an anti-counterfeiting tag and are labeled:

"Premium High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "with Ethernet" --OR--

"Ultra High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "48G"

Cables with No Certification tags are good for your standard 720p TV set, and not much more.

Oct 16, 2023 8:21 AM in response to Xathan

generally yes, but it depends on what resolutions are involved, because the data rates can be ferocious.

Connect a display to Mac Studio - Apple Support

Exactly what make&model are each of your displays, or a link to their specs?

Mac Studio Max or Ultra? Front USB ports on the Max are limited to 10 G Bit/sec, not quite enough for some displays.

How to connect a second screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.