You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari is opening a new window instead of tab

I have the settings in Safari to set to automatically open a tab instead of a window but after I did the most recent update I have had issues with it opening windows instead of tabs. I have tried changing it to "always" and that also hasn't worked. I have closed safari and restarted it and that hasn't helped. I have also restarted my MacBook but I also did not work. Any suggestions?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.1

Posted on Nov 13, 2023 2:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2023 7:52 AM

Same here since Safari update, but only on my work Single Sign On website—other websites I use work normally. I do have Safari settings set to always open links in a new tab.

When I use Chrome browser the open link in a tab function works normally, so something went awry with the Safari update.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 29, 2023 7:52 AM in response to mrthorpe21

Same here since Safari update, but only on my work Single Sign On website—other websites I use work normally. I do have Safari settings set to always open links in a new tab.

When I use Chrome browser the open link in a tab function works normally, so something went awry with the Safari update.

Jun 4, 2024 7:28 PM in response to mrthorpe21

Chrome works and thank goodness for Google Chrome! Since the last update, Safari has developed a glitch. This pop-up in the middle of the page issue is cumbersome and it's not working. Safari needs to trouble shoot this. It is definitely a Safari issue. Within some emails there are links to click on to open another page. After this most recent update, instead of opening another window to a link, a pop up appears in the middle of the page with no ability to open or click on any links that have info the pop up (in the middle of the page) does not have. Now Safari puts a worthless pop-up in the middle of the page with only partial information so thankfully I was able to go to Google Chrome to facilitate proper operation.

Safari is opening a new window instead of tab

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.