You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Limit search to specific folders in Files app? (iOS and iPadOS)

Is there a way to limit my search to only within a specific folder in the Files app? When the results come up, the files can by anywhere and there’s nothing that helps me know where each of the files are located. This of course is useful when I’m getting too many results and need to narrow them to specific folder(s).

I think I read this is only a feature on the Mac. If that’s the case, it blows me away that iCloud & Files can’t handle such a basic search feature. How can I request this feature?

iPad Pro (5th generation)

Posted on Nov 24, 2023 2:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2023 3:29 PM

To find files in a specific folder in iOS first navigate in the Files app into that folder. Then enter your search terms. When the results are presented you then can limit these results to files only in the folder you want to search. Tap on the name of the folder which is presented as a tab at the top of the search results.

In Finder on a Mac the search can be limited to the folder in the same way - by opening the folder you want to search, using the command/F keys or clicking Search in the Finder tool bar to start a search, then enter your search terms. After the results are presented then you will see similar tabs: This Mac, and [folder name] which is the folder you opened before the search.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 24, 2023 3:29 PM in response to Ukiman0714

To find files in a specific folder in iOS first navigate in the Files app into that folder. Then enter your search terms. When the results are presented you then can limit these results to files only in the folder you want to search. Tap on the name of the folder which is presented as a tab at the top of the search results.

In Finder on a Mac the search can be limited to the folder in the same way - by opening the folder you want to search, using the command/F keys or clicking Search in the Finder tool bar to start a search, then enter your search terms. After the results are presented then you will see similar tabs: This Mac, and [folder name] which is the folder you opened before the search.

Limit search to specific folders in Files app? (iOS and iPadOS)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.