You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need running balance in footer

I want to have a footer that always shows the most recent balance in a checkbook register that will add rows automatically. Then I can reference that in a separate table to track multiple accounts in one bank account.

What formula do I put in the cell showing the caution triangle to keep that running total?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 3, 2023 10:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2023 10:57 AM

Sorry I misunderstood. You should remove the footer row if you don't use it (in the Format toolbar, tab Table, section Headers and Footers). You don't need it for this formula that you'll put in the small one-cell table.

=INDEX('Larry & Susan'::G,ROWS('Larry & Susan'::G),1)

8 replies

Dec 3, 2023 11:11 AM in response to LHall

The previous formula assumes that there is never an empty row at the bottom of the table, i.e. you can never have more rows than available data.

That one will seek the last numerical value of the column, wherever it is.

=XLOOKUP(REGEX("[0-9]"),'Larry & Susan'::G,'Larry & Susan'::G,0,2,-1)

Provided for other visitors to this post.

Dec 3, 2023 10:30 AM in response to LHall

=SUM(G)

The header and the footer are ignored even if the formula says to use all of column G.

To take a smaller snapshot than the whole screen, press Shift-Command-5, frame a meaningful area, look in the options where the picture file will be saved (desktop by default), and press Enter.

When you want help regarding a specific formula or error message, make sure to include them in the picture or in your text.

Dec 19, 2023 10:33 AM in response to LHall

LH,

I'm super glad that you have a solution that works for you. However I must say that the solution you arrived at is way more complicated than it needs to be.

Headers and Footers are among the greatest features in modern spreadsheets, and should be used to the fullest extent possible. I have a hard time imagining a case where they wouldn't enhance a spreadsheet, and using them will make many whole-column expressions easier to manage since Headers and Footers are automatically excluded from such calculations.

I'm addressing the question that is the title of this discussion, "Need running balance in footer".

First, make sure that the last row in your table is actually a Footer Row, and not just the last row. There are a couple of ways to confirm this, but let's just do one for now: In the Numbers Menu Line at the top of the window, Click on Table, then choose Footer Rows. You will see a drop-down list that has the numbers 0 through 5. If you have one footer row, the number "1" should have a check mark. If "0" is checked, click on "1" to change it.

I'm going to make a few assumptions. First, it might be nice to see the total Withdrawals and total Deposits in the Footer row along with the running balance. It would also be nice if you had two Header Rows so that you would have a place for your Starting Balance in the Header rather than in a separate table, but we'll leave that as is for now.

If your table still has the size of your screen shot, the Footer Row is row 17. If not, adjust the expressions I'm giving you below to reflect the difference.

In the Footer cell of the Withdrawal column enter =SUM(E), in the footer cell of the Deposits column enter =SUM(F), and in the footer cell of the Balance column enter =Start Bal::A1-E17+E18. That should give you a running balance that is the same as the one for the last entry row in column G.

So, I used the SUM function twice and one arithmetic expression. That's it.

As for sheet maintenance concerns, Footer Rows will take care of themselves if you need to resize the table. Drag the Add-Rows handle at the lower left corner of the table and body rows will be added as needed, while the Footer will stay at the bottom of the table as it should.

Jerry

Need running balance in footer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.