You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Used Mac user password

Hi I bought a used Mac running on Monterey however I tried to update to Ventura and now it is asking for a user password. I am guessing that would be the old owners password. I am not too computer literate when it comes to Apple. Tried most things through google but none appear to work.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 13.6

Posted on Aug 19, 2024 10:01 PM

1 reply

Aug 19, 2024 10:18 PM in response to Imacloveit

Please return the computer for a refund. The computer must be setup per Apple's directions in What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac. When you get a Mac that has NOT had these instructions executed you are left with an unusable computer!

I am guessing you do not want to invest in a new Mac, if that is the case you have options that are much safer. First, Apple offers Apple refurbished Macs. These are identical to new, come with the same 1 year warranty as a new Mac, are eligible for AppleCare and can save hundreds of $. To find these, navigate to apple.com, scroll to the bottom of the page and click Apple's Refurbished store.

Next, if this is still not a low enough price, go to a reputable reseller such as Macsales.com. Never ever buy a Mac from places like:

• E-Bay
  • Marketplace
  • Nextdoor
  • Craigslist
  • local PC shop etc.

Be smart, especially when you are not experienced with Macs.

Used Mac user password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.