You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Defender Security Centre - scam - how to shut it down

Hi

I received this scam on my computer

Issue is it has disabled my curson and they only option is to click on the fake security centre

I can't access apple to force quit etc

I have no options

Is it ok to do a hard reboot and just shut my computer down?

Posted on Aug 22, 2024 8:11 AM

2 replies

Aug 22, 2024 7:03 PM in response to nahid157

You can use the key combination described in How to force an app to quit on your Mac - Apple Support.

When reopening Safari, press and hold a Shift key. That will prevent the same website from opening again.

Release the Shift key when Safari opens.

You can click the fake security centre if you want. Just don't install anything. Websites in and of themselves can do nothing — other than make it difficult to control Safari of course.

Is it ok to do a hard reboot and just shut my computer down?

You can do that too. Remember the Shift key technique when reopening Safari.

Aug 22, 2024 7:44 PM in response to nahid157

nahid157 Said:

"Apple Defender Security Centre - scam - how to shut it down: Hi I received this scam on my computer Issue is it has disabled my curson and they only option is to click on the fake security centre I can't access apple to force quit etc I have no options Is it ok to do a hard reboot and just shut my computer down?"

-------

Getting Out of a Stuck Popup Window:

Use my User Tip:

See if you can exit this app, by getting to Finder (the smileyface). You should them be able to access Force Quit.

[command + tab] Use it to Access your Mac when Something is Not Responding - User Tip

Apple Defender Security Centre - scam - how to shut it down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.