You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my Mac Studio rejecting the correct password while updating the software?

Trying to enter a password to update my software and the computer rejects it every time. I have gone in and changed my apple ID password and reset everything but it still will not allow me to update the system?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac Studio (2023)

Posted on Aug 23, 2024 2:12 PM

6 replies

Aug 23, 2024 2:31 PM in response to Cmilan72

if you are the First or Only user of your Mac your Admin password is required. That is the password for the login account you created when you first set up your Mac.

You need an Apple-ID account in good standing (soon the be transitioned to "Apple Account") but that is NOT the password you use to make administrative changes such as install software updates.

Sep 2, 2024 12:37 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

You are correct, it had such a serious problem that I had to erase and reinstall the OS, then recover from time machine and use migration assistant to get back to where I could operate again. Fair warning to anyone else with this issue: BACK IT ALL UP before you call support. Not all of the technicians are qualified to help you with problems of this nature. By the time I got up to a Level 4 tech, it was already game over.

Why is my Mac Studio rejecting the correct password while updating the software?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.