You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Radio streaming in Music keeps getting stuck re-buffering the stream after updating to Sequoia

Just updated to Sequoia. Radio streaming in Music keeps getting stuck rebuffering the stream. Only happened once in a while with old software.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Sep 21, 2024 1:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2024 11:04 PM

Just to be clear: this happens with every stream. I tried several and Sequoia/Music gets always stuck after a couple of seconds while rebuffering, just as barfh1 described.

Another annoyingly obvious bug in the long list of Sequoia bugs Apple's tester team surprisingly did not catch :(

11 replies

Sep 30, 2024 8:13 AM in response to barfh1

I recently upgraded my MacBook Pro (16-inch 2019) to Sequoia. I am also experiencing a similar issue where streaming music begins playing just fine, but stops after a short time when using Apple Music or a browser (both Chrome and Edge). This occurs when using both a wired and wireless network connection. To confirm this was NOT an internet connection issue, I started a continuous ping to Google, started my streaming music and continued to receive responses even after the music stopped. This was not an issue when my machine was running Sonoma. Luckily, it appears VLC is not affected, so I am using that app as a workaround. Hoping Apple addresses this issue in an upcoming Sequoia update.

Sep 30, 2024 1:22 PM in response to barfh1

Today I noticed open webpages exhibiting connection issues. For example, in Gmail I would see the 'Oops, we encountered an error… retrying' banner on a fairly regular basis. Also the WebRTC phone I use in my browser would lose connection and then reconnect. After Googling my symptoms I came across this article:

What's new in Microsoft Defender for Endpoint on Mac

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/defender-endpoint/mac-whatsnew

Under Sequoia support, the following is mentioned:

In macOS Sequoia (version 15.0), if you have Network Protection enabled, you might see crashes of the network extension (NetExt). This issue results in intermittent network connectivity issues for end users.

Note: The core functionalities of antivirus, endpoint detection & response, and threat and vulnerability management continue functioning.

We're recommending that customers who have Network Protection enabled in their organization to either:

Delay updating to macOS Sequoia (version 15.0); or

Use the instructions to disable Network Extension as described in Troubleshoot NetExt issues in Microsoft Defender for Endpoint on Mac. This causes Network Protection, Web Content Filtering, and IP address/URL Indicators to be nonfunctional.

Microsoft Defender is collaborating with Apple to provide our mutual customers a solution when Network Protection is enabled in Microsoft Defender for Endpoint on macOS Sequoia (version 15.0).

I followed a link to this article:

Troubleshoot Network Extension (NetExt) issues in Defender for Endpoint on Mac

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/defender-endpoint/mac-troubleshoot-netext-mde

At the end of this article there is a Manual method. Following these steps resolved both my streaming music issue as well as the abovementioned symptoms. In System Settings > General > Login Items & Extensions > Extensions > Network Extensions, I disabled Microsoft Defender.

I hope this helps.

Oct 1, 2024 12:17 AM in response to barfh1

@ScotchNSoda

You are correct, VLC is also my workaround solution currently. Albeit streaming also worked for me directly in Safari just fine the other day, while it got stuck as expected in Music.

About your Microsoft Defender suggestions: did it work for you? I don't have Defender. The only network extensions on my system stem from Little Snitch and ProtonVPN. Both latest versions of course. Temporarily deactivating one or the other for testing didn't make any difference for me.

Oct 1, 2024 8:48 AM in response to ScotchNSoda

Same here on my M1 iMac. Problem is streaming from RadioTunes, but not WTOP or other internet radio stations. I made sure Music was allowed all streaming in the Firewall. Trying to switch streams caused Music to loop consistently and had to Force Quit the application. Not running any antivirus. The issue is intermittent. Had no problem last night, but is rebuffering this morning. SpeedTest shows 805 Mbps. Music and RadioTunes are both allowed in Little Snitch.

Guess I will try VLC. My wife has no problem on her Samsung laptop with Windows 11 Home.

Oct 7, 2024 11:22 AM in response to ScotchNSoda

Microsoft just updated their 'What's new in Microsoft Defender for Endpoint on Mac' article with the following:

In macOS Sequoia (version 15.0), if you have Network Protection enabled, you might see crashes of the network extension (NetExt). This issue results in intermittent network connectivity issues for end users. Please upgrade to macOS Sequoia version 15.0.1 or newer.

If you haven't already, try upgrading to macOS Sequoia version 15.0.1. I have not yet upgraded to 15.0.1, but will soon and will post back here with the results.

[Edited by Moderator]

Radio streaming in Music keeps getting stuck re-buffering the stream after updating to Sequoia

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.