You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Cannot download files to SSD using Safari on macOS Sequoia

When I try to download files from Google Drive, and select my external drive as the download destination, the file downloads and on the very last bit, an error shows up saying "cannot move file."

I am using Safari on an Intel MacBook Air that runs on macOS Sequoia. I never had this issue before, and it happens very consistently now, after the last OS update. I haven't tested it on other browsers yet, nor on my M-series Macs. Anyone else having the same issue? How'd you resolve it?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Sep 28, 2024 5:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2024 8:38 PM

I'm facing the same issue after last OS update. Files downloaded in download folder can be opened but files downloaded on external drives are not opening.

8 replies

Sep 28, 2024 5:35 AM in response to richmondsim

richmondsim wrote:

Anyone else having the same issue? How'd you resolve it?

A few people who use network volumes are reporting the same problem. I can see how it would fail on a network volume. But I would think an external should work. Do you have another drive you could erase and test with?

I'm interested if you would see the same problem with a different drive, or a drive formatted in APFS, or a drive with ownership enabled.

Oct 19, 2024 11:23 PM in response to thinker101

It seems like I've found a temporary workaround. After it downloads all the way and you get that 'Cannot move file' message, if you right click on the download file and go to 'show package', it seems like the full file is actually in there. You can drag that file out of the download package and into the folder you want it in. That has worked for me on several files so far.

Cannot download files to SSD using Safari on macOS Sequoia

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.