You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

combine PDFs in preview app

Hello:

Occasionally there is a need to combine multiple PDF files into a single doc. This has been easily accomplished using the preview app, opening a PDF and then dragging additional files into the sidebar / thumbnails area. This functionality SEEMS to be broken in macOS Catalina ver 10.15 (19A583), preview ver 11.0 (998). When dragging new files into the sidebar / thumbnail area the files are not combined but simply opened as multiple documents within preview. This issue is also referenced in a reply to another preview app issue in the thread here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250719196?answerId=251432330022#251432330022

Any help / suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 18, 2019 9:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 8:02 AM

Apparently this was a case of operator error.... I was trying to combine two PNG files not PDF files. My confusion came from the fact that the PNGs default to open in the preview app and I wrongly assumed that I could combine the files in the same way as can be done with PDFs. I verified that, when opening two PDFs, you are able to combine the files as before.

I've added this note to the thread in case anyone makes the same mistake I did.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 21, 2019 8:02 AM in response to ed_in_nj

Apparently this was a case of operator error.... I was trying to combine two PNG files not PDF files. My confusion came from the fact that the PNGs default to open in the preview app and I wrongly assumed that I could combine the files in the same way as can be done with PDFs. I verified that, when opening two PDFs, you are able to combine the files as before.

I've added this note to the thread in case anyone makes the same mistake I did.

combine PDFs in preview app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.