You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lost

I was working in pages. I hit select all. Text was all highlighted. I then hit add page number. ALL of my document disappeared. How can I retrieve it? It does not show up as having previous versions

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 8:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 11:18 AM

If you had all text selected, and had clicked in the header/footer to respond to the dialog Insert Page Number, then the selected text would have been automatically deselected and nothing removed. However, if you have body text selected and attempted to insert a page number from the insert menu, that would remove all selected text, and replace it with the current page number.

When you did that, why not simply visit the Edit menu and click Undo Insert to reinstate your removed text selection?

Although Pages has autosave, it is not activated until you manually save your document with a proper name once. If you were working on a document named Untitled, and had failed to save it in the prescribed manner, then your work was irretrievably lost, and there could be no previous versions.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 17, 2020 11:18 AM in response to DrKimberly1

If you had all text selected, and had clicked in the header/footer to respond to the dialog Insert Page Number, then the selected text would have been automatically deselected and nothing removed. However, if you have body text selected and attempted to insert a page number from the insert menu, that would remove all selected text, and replace it with the current page number.

When you did that, why not simply visit the Edit menu and click Undo Insert to reinstate your removed text selection?

Although Pages has autosave, it is not activated until you manually save your document with a proper name once. If you were working on a document named Untitled, and had failed to save it in the prescribed manner, then your work was irretrievably lost, and there could be no previous versions.

lost

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.