You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help to bypass previous owners info on Ipad

He passed away so is there a way I can bypass this to set it up in my name? I know his email and stuff but no password. They say it has to be in his acct cuz he had the locator on..

Posted on Feb 17, 2020 9:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2020 9:54 AM

This is apple’s official policy on accessing a deceased person’s device

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple accounts - Apple Support

Beyond that there’s not a lot to be done I’m afraid.

2 replies

Feb 17, 2020 9:52 AM in response to Laf04

Assuming an owner has access to the email address used to set-up an Apple device, an owner would normally be able to recover their AppleID and associated password from https://iforgot.apple.com.

Having subsequently accessed the account at https://appleid.apple.com, an Activation Lock for an associated device could be removed from the account - after which the now disassociated device can be safely wiped and setup again as new with a new AppleID.

It follows therefore that if the owner of the device does not have access to the associated email account - to which any account reset messages can be automatically directed - then access to the AppleID account will require the owner to contact Apple Support for assistance.

I hope you find this information helpful in understanding the processes. Should additional assistance be required, you’ll find the link to Contact Support at top-right of this page.

Need help to bypass previous owners info on Ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.