You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove or reset the Recent Themes in the Keynote Theme Chooser?

I am just looking around Keynote for the first (maybe second) time. I opened the Basic White and Basic Black themes and now they're showing up under "Recents". I want to set the program back to factory specs - no recents in the Theme Chooser. How would i go about doing that? I figure it's in a .plist file?

Thanks

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 11:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 12:39 PM

The Recent menu item is built into Mac OS, it can not be turned off, and is there whether we want to use it or not.

Most applications both Apple and third party have a recents menu item; examples

Microsoft Word, Excel, Apple Pages, iMovie, QuickTime, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator

If you remove all the recent listings from Keynote, the next time Keynote is used, the list will be populated again.

Far better to change some upfront user settings than mess around in the Library folder by deleting or changing preferences, many of which are now secured.

In Keynote go to:

1 - File - Open Recent - Clear Menu

2 - For themes, go to the theme chooser and select All Themes, whenever Keynote is used again, it will still show recents but all the Themes in Keynote will be present.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 25, 2020 12:39 PM in response to RobKNYC

The Recent menu item is built into Mac OS, it can not be turned off, and is there whether we want to use it or not.

Most applications both Apple and third party have a recents menu item; examples

Microsoft Word, Excel, Apple Pages, iMovie, QuickTime, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator

If you remove all the recent listings from Keynote, the next time Keynote is used, the list will be populated again.

Far better to change some upfront user settings than mess around in the Library folder by deleting or changing preferences, many of which are now secured.

In Keynote go to:

1 - File - Open Recent - Clear Menu

2 - For themes, go to the theme chooser and select All Themes, whenever Keynote is used again, it will still show recents but all the Themes in Keynote will be present.

May 1, 2020 5:58 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Thanks for the excellent detail, and the screenshots that help you make your point. For me, the thing is that I like the items that are listed under File > Open Recent... and don't want to lose those.

I'm specifically looking to clear the 2 items under "Recents" in the Theme Chooser. Maybe there's a way to directly clear it? I'd be happy to trash the .plist file if that would do the trick, but I don't see it under Library > Preferences. This one has me perplexed... I guess I could trash and reinstall the program if necessary but that seems a little extreme and would clear the File > Open Recent list too.

Hmmm... what to do?

How do I remove or reset the Recent Themes in the Keynote Theme Chooser?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.