You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is a Legacy System Extension post Catalina upgrade.

I just upgraded to Catalina from High Sierra. I have a 2012 MacBook Pro, so I was surprised that I was allowed to go there. After the installation, I received a notice that is attached. Beneath that it said "Legacy system extensions and the apps that rely on them continue to work today. But now is a good time to contact the developer to learn whether an updated version of their software is available or planned. The developer can also explain how to remove or disable the extension, and the consequences of doing so.

What does that mean and how do I find out who is the developer and wat program are they talking about. I had reservations about upgrading... Should have followed my instinct. This is going to be a time suck.

I hope someone can advise!

Stay safe...

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 16, 2020 12:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 16, 2020 1:03 PM

You don't need to do anything, now. Apple is severely restricting third-party kernel extensions in the next major OS. Catalina is just warning you of the fact that something you use needs an update before it will run on the next major OS.

"DEVELOPER_NAME" should have been replaced with the actual developer's name, but they apparently didn't enter it into the kernel extension, so you got the default text string.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 16, 2020 1:03 PM in response to Nimble_Witch

You don't need to do anything, now. Apple is severely restricting third-party kernel extensions in the next major OS. Catalina is just warning you of the fact that something you use needs an update before it will run on the next major OS.

"DEVELOPER_NAME" should have been replaced with the actual developer's name, but they apparently didn't enter it into the kernel extension, so you got the default text string.

May 16, 2020 12:14 PM in response to Nimble_Witch

What this means is that there is a system extension that Apple is warning you about, that may not be compatible with the next macOS upgrade.

To help uncover what it may be I suggest that you run an EtreCheck report. Optionally, if you need assistance with interpreting the results of the report, you can post it here.

Ref: Using EtreCheck to Troubleshoot Potential… - Apple Community

May 17, 2020 3:28 PM in response to Barney-15E

My MacBook Pro is 6 or 7 years old. I was surpised I could make this latest update. Right after the update, the attached notification popped up with a name - I think it was Silban. I should have taken a screenshot before I clicked on the "Learn More" link. When I tried to navigate back, it was gone.

Thanks for the heads up. I probably will not have a problem - I hope. Can't afford a new one right now.

What is a Legacy System Extension post Catalina upgrade.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.