You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina: Photo albums and books don't show up in finder for iPhone sync

Hi,

I have upgraded my MacBook Pro to Catalina and now I'm not anymore able to sync my custom photo albums and books, because they just don't show up in the finder.

When I open the Fotos and Books apps the content is definitely there.

Does anyone know what I can do about it?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 21, 2020 2:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 22, 2020 4:12 AM

Is your Photos Library enabled as the System photos Library?

Please check the Photos > Preferences > General. (Fotos > Einstellungen > Allgemein)

The option "Use as System Photos Library (Als Systemfotomediathek verwenden)" should be greyed out. If izt is not, click it to make your Library the System Photo Library.

Then restart your Mac and try again.

The Finder seems to be showing you a different Photos Library when syncing. Where is your Photos Library stored? Is it in the default location, the Pictures folder (Ordner Bilder)?

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 22, 2020 4:12 AM in response to 3loom

Is your Photos Library enabled as the System photos Library?

Please check the Photos > Preferences > General. (Fotos > Einstellungen > Allgemein)

The option "Use as System Photos Library (Als Systemfotomediathek verwenden)" should be greyed out. If izt is not, click it to make your Library the System Photo Library.

Then restart your Mac and try again.

The Finder seems to be showing you a different Photos Library when syncing. Where is your Photos Library stored? Is it in the default location, the Pictures folder (Ordner Bilder)?

May 21, 2020 2:57 PM in response to 3loom

Hey there 3loom,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. I understand your books and photo albums are not appearing in Finder when syncing with your iPhone. I’ll be happy to help with this.

If this occurred after updating your Mac, make sure your iPhone is up to date as well:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Then make sure you’re following the steps in this link when attempting to sync your photos:

Sync photos between your Mac and iPhone or iPad

If you still have issues, make sure you’re using an Apple branded Lightning to USB (or USB-C) cable.

Boot into safe mode after this and try syncing again:

How to use safe mode on your Mac

If possible, test with another iOS device as well. 

As for your Books, are these books you purchased from the Book Store? If you received them from a third-party, make sure they are not DRM protected as that may have an impact on this.

Cheers.

May 22, 2020 3:01 AM in response to sterling r

Hi sterling,

Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately I couldn't solve my issues.

Both Catalina 10.15.4 on my MacBook Pro 9,1 and iOS 13.5 on my iPhone 11 are the latest versions.

I have connected the iPhone via USB and it appears in the finder. As described above, my problem is that the books and photo albums don't appear in the respective tabs (please look at the screenshots that I'v posted above).

Is there maybe another possibility?

May 22, 2020 9:14 AM in response to léonie

Hello leoni,

the photos library was not enabled as the system photos library, so now I pressed the button and now it is set (the button is greyed out now).

Unfortunately the iPhone tab still doesn't recognize my photo albums.

Apart from that my books are not visible there either.

My music library is recognized by the way...

Thanks anyways!

Catalina: Photo albums and books don't show up in finder for iPhone sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.