You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I would like to use my 32 bit apps with Catalina. What is the workaround? Should I backgrade to Mohave?

I would like to use my 32 bit apps with Catalina. What is the workaround? Should I backgrade to Mohave?

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 12:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 12:38 PM

You can not use 32 bit apps with Catalina.

Revert your Mac to a previous macOS version - Apple Support

But I would upgrade my old apps rather than revert to an older operating system.

5 replies

Jun 2, 2020 4:28 PM in response to lynfromglendale

lynfromglendale Said:

"I would like to use my 32 bit apps with Catalina. What is the workaround? Should I backgrade to Mohave?"

-------

Run this Through a Virtual Machine:

If there ends up being not solution for Catalina, consider using a Virtual Machine (VM) for this software (Windows-in-a-window). See if this item os an option for Windows. If it is, then ask the developer how to transfer the software to a Window install.

About Virtual Machine Software:

All would be accessed and would operate as desired on the VM. Virtual Machine applications include VMWare Fusion and ParallelsLearn more here: What Is a Virtual Machine? - VMware Support. Thing is, you can run 32-bit software off of it, while your macOS is running in the background.

Jun 2, 2020 10:37 PM in response to TheLittles

I tested several older OS X versions on VMware Fusion. OS X 10.6 Server is great because it can run old PowerPC apps like MT NewsWatcher via its Rosetta emulation and also Photoshop CS 6 runs on it. But Lightroom 6.14 needs OS X 10.11 so I installed also it as a VM. VMs lack a graphics acceleration driver so some GUI elements have safe-boot-like artifacts and Mojave has too much bloat for this task anyway. I'll see if that route is OK or if I boot into Mojave partition to run old software. Or bite the bullet and update the software.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.