You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfering programs

I'm about to upgrade my iMac - High Sierra 21.5 inch - Late 2009 computer for a new 3.0 GHZ 6-core. I'd know the files should transfer easily (I hope) but I have very serviceable copies of Microsoft WORD, Excel etc. and I would like to transfer them. Can I? or can they do it at the Apple store?

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 9:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 10:14 PM

oldjgw Said:

"Transfering programs I'm about to upgrade my iMac - High Sierra 21.5 inch - Late 2009 computer for a new 3.0 GHZ 6-core. I'd know the files should transfer easily (I hope) but I have very serviceable copies of Microsoft WORD, Excel etc. and I would like to transfer them. Can I? or can they do it at the Apple store?"

-------

Contact the Developers:

Note that you need 64-bit software for a new computer (Catalina) - 32-bit software wont run on the macOS. And you need to upgrade your MS Office version. So, contact Microsoft, asking them for the correct upgrade option. You could use other items than MS Office, and save yourself quite a bit. Some items you have installed may just incompatible and may no longer be an option for use, when it comes to Catalina. So, keep that in mind.

As for Transferring it, try Migration Assistant:

1. First, Back up your 2009 Mac with Time Machine
  2. Then Transfer it Over Using Migration Assistant
2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 17, 2020 10:14 PM in response to oldjgw

oldjgw Said:

"Transfering programs I'm about to upgrade my iMac - High Sierra 21.5 inch - Late 2009 computer for a new 3.0 GHZ 6-core. I'd know the files should transfer easily (I hope) but I have very serviceable copies of Microsoft WORD, Excel etc. and I would like to transfer them. Can I? or can they do it at the Apple store?"

-------

Contact the Developers:

Note that you need 64-bit software for a new computer (Catalina) - 32-bit software wont run on the macOS. And you need to upgrade your MS Office version. So, contact Microsoft, asking them for the correct upgrade option. You could use other items than MS Office, and save yourself quite a bit. Some items you have installed may just incompatible and may no longer be an option for use, when it comes to Catalina. So, keep that in mind.

As for Transferring it, try Migration Assistant:

1. First, Back up your 2009 Mac with Time Machine
  2. Then Transfer it Over Using Migration Assistant

Transfering programs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.