You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monitor

So I have a 21.5 inch iMac. I'd like to use a 2nd monitor as well. Does Apple make a monitor only? I wouldn't think I'd need a second computer. Any thoughts?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 12:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 5:53 PM

You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier for use as an external display. Learn how to identify your iMac model.

Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier on the iMac used as the external display. It does not work with macOS Mojave or later.

How to use target display mode

1. Make sure that your iMac is started up and meets the system requirements above.
  2. Make sure that the other Mac is started up and logged in to a macOS user account. 
  3. Connect the two computers using the appropriate Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt cable. 
  4. You can use more than one iMac as a display, if each iMac is using a Thunderbolt cable to connect directly to a Thunderbolt port on the other Mac (not the other iMac). 
  5. Press Command-F2 on the keyboard of the iMac. You should now see the desktop of the other Mac.
  6. To exit target display mode, press Command-F2 again. Or disconnect the cable, or restart either Mac.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 25, 2020 5:53 PM in response to Skyholder

You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier for use as an external display. Learn how to identify your iMac model.

Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier on the iMac used as the external display. It does not work with macOS Mojave or later.

How to use target display mode

1. Make sure that your iMac is started up and meets the system requirements above.
  2. Make sure that the other Mac is started up and logged in to a macOS user account. 
  3. Connect the two computers using the appropriate Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt cable. 
  4. You can use more than one iMac as a display, if each iMac is using a Thunderbolt cable to connect directly to a Thunderbolt port on the other Mac (not the other iMac). 
  5. Press Command-F2 on the keyboard of the iMac. You should now see the desktop of the other Mac.
  6. To exit target display mode, press Command-F2 again. Or disconnect the cable, or restart either Mac.

Monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.