You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Retina 2015 Black Screen (Intermittent)

I have had an intermittent black screen issue going on with my MacBook Pro for a few years now. I sent it to Apple for troubleshooting and they could not find the cause. So i have continued to deal with it. Interestingly I made a new distinction that it is not the position of the screen, per se, but instead, the position or tilt of the "base" that causes my screen to light up again. Said another way, if I am just working along----on battery, which seems to be the dominant scenario----and the screen goes dark, I now know that tilting the base up/down on the axis of the screen's hinge brings back the screen immediately. i used to fight it, shake it...tilt screen back and forth....whatever, especially when desperate....and never really figuring out a reliable pattern, until this new observation very recently. I am looking for any evidence of a solid state gyro in the online forums that might be the culprit, but so far have found nothing. I so much like the idea of a gyro-sleep-or-screen-off function being responsible than a loose wire.

Does anyone have any theories why tilting the base up and down (back and forth?) could drive (and recover from) this intermittent black screen issue ?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 9:06 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 10:29 PM

There is a cable that connects the GPU to the Display. That cable may be failing. You can have your MacBook Pro examined at the Apple Store or an Authorized Service Center when they open or contact ➔ Apple Support

Axel F.

Similar questions

1 reply

Macbook Pro Retina 2015 Black Screen (Intermittent)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.