You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to update iWork Apps on new laptop

I purchased new Macbook Pro 2020, and when trying to use the iWork apps, it said there was an update, so I tried to update it, but it prompted the message, "CANNOT UPDATE APP: Keynote cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID". Which is true, I deleted those apps off of my iPhone 7 when I got it, but I don't see how that matters when trying to update them on my Mac. (I obviously use the same Apple ID). Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

MacBook

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 8:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 9:35 PM

Welcome, gojennyfer, to Apple Support Communities!

We see that you have purchased a new MacBook Pro 2020 (congratulations) that came with iWork Apps preinstalled.

We further see that when trying to update one or more of those preinstalled Apps, you were presented with an error message about such being “refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID”.

We should be able to help with this.

The preinstalled Apps need to be “Adopted” by you, so they become associated with your Apple ID.

We have been seeing two, somewhat related issues in this regard.

1. The Mac App Store (MAS) often doesn’t make it clear when you are not explicitly logged in. Go to the menu under Store -> View My Account. This should cause the MAS to ask for your Apple ID and password, so you can be certain you are fully logged in.
  2. When people use the Migration Assistant, to migrate their Apps to the new machine, any of their older versions of the preinstalled Apps will sort of “interfere” with “Adopting” the preinstalled Apps.

Once you have made certain you have explicitly logged into the MAS (1. above), you should, at some point, while navigating the MAS, looking for updates, or checking on the iWork apps (I’m sorry I don’t recall when, from my experience) you should be presented with a dialogue informing you that you have Apps that need to be “Adopted”.

See Get updates for preinstalled apps on Mac - Apple Support

Simply accept the “Adoption” of those Apps.

At that point, they become yours, and you’ll be able to update them as usual.

If the “Adoption” fails, then you may be in scenario 2., above.

In this case, the workaround seems to be to completely delete the App in question (making sure you empty the Trash, perhaps even rebooting, afterward, to make sure the OS doesn’t “remember” the “offending” App). Then locating the desired App in the MAS and installing it.

Fortunately, this is not a problem for Free Apps like the iWork Apps.

(For those that ordered machines with Premium Apps preinstalled, this can be quite problematic.)

Please let us know if this helps, or if you need any further assistance!

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 19, 2020 9:35 PM in response to gojennyfer

Welcome, gojennyfer, to Apple Support Communities!

We see that you have purchased a new MacBook Pro 2020 (congratulations) that came with iWork Apps preinstalled.

We further see that when trying to update one or more of those preinstalled Apps, you were presented with an error message about such being “refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID”.

We should be able to help with this.

The preinstalled Apps need to be “Adopted” by you, so they become associated with your Apple ID.

We have been seeing two, somewhat related issues in this regard.

1. The Mac App Store (MAS) often doesn’t make it clear when you are not explicitly logged in. Go to the menu under Store -> View My Account. This should cause the MAS to ask for your Apple ID and password, so you can be certain you are fully logged in.
  2. When people use the Migration Assistant, to migrate their Apps to the new machine, any of their older versions of the preinstalled Apps will sort of “interfere” with “Adopting” the preinstalled Apps.

Once you have made certain you have explicitly logged into the MAS (1. above), you should, at some point, while navigating the MAS, looking for updates, or checking on the iWork apps (I’m sorry I don’t recall when, from my experience) you should be presented with a dialogue informing you that you have Apps that need to be “Adopted”.

See Get updates for preinstalled apps on Mac - Apple Support

Simply accept the “Adoption” of those Apps.

At that point, they become yours, and you’ll be able to update them as usual.

If the “Adoption” fails, then you may be in scenario 2., above.

In this case, the workaround seems to be to completely delete the App in question (making sure you empty the Trash, perhaps even rebooting, afterward, to make sure the OS doesn’t “remember” the “offending” App). Then locating the desired App in the MAS and installing it.

Fortunately, this is not a problem for Free Apps like the iWork Apps.

(For those that ordered machines with Premium Apps preinstalled, this can be quite problematic.)

Please let us know if this helps, or if you need any further assistance!

Unable to update iWork Apps on new laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.