You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Factory reset 2012 10.8.5 won't upgrade/update

since purchase, I had rcvd all the updates. Since it had been a while after getting the catalina update, computer became slow, I decided to do a factory reset.

Its back to mountain lion 10.8.5 which the unit originally shipped with. However I can't seem to update anymore the os?

If I try to "get" catalina, it gives an error msg. Anyone who solved it, pls help. Using 10.8.5 today is crazy!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 11:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 11:45 AM

This usually happens on unsupported softwares like OS X Yosemite or earlier. But make sure you computer is off. then hold command and r while turning on your computer. Next macOS utilities should pop up. Select reinstall macOS. Agree, then select the disk you wish to install that update on. This is may take up to a few hours depending on your device and/or the software it’s downloading as well as your WiFi speed. But be careful, make sure you have a backup or your most important files and photos in iCloud because this may result in a data wipe like I had to reenter my Apple ID and other accounts all over again (which was a hassle). If I’m correct macOS manage or either Catalina will appear when reinstalling macOS.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 22, 2020 11:45 AM in response to LIKE APPLE

This usually happens on unsupported softwares like OS X Yosemite or earlier. But make sure you computer is off. then hold command and r while turning on your computer. Next macOS utilities should pop up. Select reinstall macOS. Agree, then select the disk you wish to install that update on. This is may take up to a few hours depending on your device and/or the software it’s downloading as well as your WiFi speed. But be careful, make sure you have a backup or your most important files and photos in iCloud because this may result in a data wipe like I had to reenter my Apple ID and other accounts all over again (which was a hassle). If I’m correct macOS manage or either Catalina will appear when reinstalling macOS.

Factory reset 2012 10.8.5 won't upgrade/update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.