You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wireless printer compatible with Catalina 10.15.7

my HP printer denies my printing jobs. contacted Apple, they said to go to HP. I did and their on-line update is a mess for an electronic no-bee. I looked into buying a compatible printer (my HP is 10 yo) and the information on new printers just buzzes by the top of my head. What is recommended for a ggmother loving her Mac, but right now hating all updates/upgrades, etc. I just want a scan/copy/print wireless simple printer. Please !!!!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 27, 2020 11:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2020 12:09 PM

The current HP problem is probably temporary - but a pain in neck right now. And if the printer is 10yo, it probably deserves an update.

Normally for reliability, and consumable costs, I'd recommend HP - Hey Ho!

Having said that - I currently have an Epson - which I bought because it has high capacity ink tanks filled (painlessly) from a bottle - so the running costs are low and I can print photos again without worry (having said that, the printer itself costs a lot). This Epson works perfectly wireless, so I guess other Epson wireless models would too.

The one I have is a dedicated photo printer, the ET700, which has an additional "photo black" ink tank. This is close to the most expensive inject Epson do. I don't know where you are, so I'll not give a price but you can look it up.

If you don't need ultimate photo quality, then the more conventional ET2710 is more reasonable, and will still do good photographs. These "eco tank" models might be more expensive than an ordinary cartridge inkjet, but you'll find once you've used the included ink, you'll have spent less than the ordinary printer + cartridges for the same amount of printing. And will save significantly in running costs from then on.

The main benefit of these for me - is I no longer concern myself with ink costs which means I use the printer far more, and actually get value from it.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 27, 2020 12:09 PM in response to qhrancher

The current HP problem is probably temporary - but a pain in neck right now. And if the printer is 10yo, it probably deserves an update.

Normally for reliability, and consumable costs, I'd recommend HP - Hey Ho!

Having said that - I currently have an Epson - which I bought because it has high capacity ink tanks filled (painlessly) from a bottle - so the running costs are low and I can print photos again without worry (having said that, the printer itself costs a lot). This Epson works perfectly wireless, so I guess other Epson wireless models would too.

The one I have is a dedicated photo printer, the ET700, which has an additional "photo black" ink tank. This is close to the most expensive inject Epson do. I don't know where you are, so I'll not give a price but you can look it up.

If you don't need ultimate photo quality, then the more conventional ET2710 is more reasonable, and will still do good photographs. These "eco tank" models might be more expensive than an ordinary cartridge inkjet, but you'll find once you've used the included ink, you'll have spent less than the ordinary printer + cartridges for the same amount of printing. And will save significantly in running costs from then on.

The main benefit of these for me - is I no longer concern myself with ink costs which means I use the printer far more, and actually get value from it.

Oct 28, 2020 3:49 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Thanks Tony. This is the first time I've ever run into having to obtain a new printer driver when Apple upgraded my OS. My printer is 10 yo and so I probably could get a new one. I presume now that if I buy a new any brand, I'll have to be sure it's compatible 1st with my mac and 2nd with Catalina. Wonder if Apple considered this would happen. I don't print photos or anything really complicated. I mostly do multiple family genealogy trees and my ggs does his homework on my mac and prints stuff.

So I'll suck it up and go shopping this weekend. Thanks for your input. Mac users are great. Bev

wireless printer compatible with Catalina 10.15.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.