You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV HD 16:9 aspect ratio on 4:3 resolution 640x480

Hi,

I‘ve connected a little 640x480 projector (=4:3 aspect ratio) to my AppleTV HD. Eventhough I‘ve set the resolution accordingly to 640x480 on AppleTV, the AppleTV is not putting put 4:3 content but rather 16:9 content which is stretched vertically to 4:3, which is true for the menu as well as for AirPlay.

If the AppleTV can‘t change the menu‘s aspect ratio shouldn‘t there at least be letterboxes if the content is 16:9, but the resolution 4:3?

How can I get an unstretched picture?

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 3:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 6:03 AM

The Apple TV would in this case send a video signal for 307200 pixels per frame with a ‘flag’ (meta data) that it should be displayed as 16:9. It is then up to the projector to letterbox it. A suitable projector (listed as 16:9 compatible) would support such a video stream. There are no controls on Apple TV for anything different than 16:9 for video output.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 20, 2020 6:03 AM in response to Rabenda

The Apple TV would in this case send a video signal for 307200 pixels per frame with a ‘flag’ (meta data) that it should be displayed as 16:9. It is then up to the projector to letterbox it. A suitable projector (listed as 16:9 compatible) would support such a video stream. There are no controls on Apple TV for anything different than 16:9 for video output.

AppleTV HD 16:9 aspect ratio on 4:3 resolution 640x480

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.