You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The document [name here] is on a volume that does not support permanent version storage

I am running Pages v8.2 on a Macbook Air with OS 10.14.6 Mojave. I am working with multiple Pages documents stored locally on the internal hard drive and not residing on any cloud server. One, and only one, of these documents is suddenly, as of today, giving me this message about "permanent version storage" when I attempt to close it; multiple other recent Pages documents, created at about the same time and stored in the same folder on the same internal hard drive, do not show this message upon closing. All these documents contain tables, if that's somehow relevant.

Am I in danger of losing this document if I go ahead and close it? Why is this only happening to a single document? Is it corrupted somehow, should I try to create a copy of it? What do I do here?

ETA: I copied the document and created a second version of it, and saved that and closed it without receiving that message. I then went ahead and closed the original, reopened it and saw that it appeared complete and unchanged, and re-closed it and didn't get that message. Sunspots? Gremlins? Because Apple?...

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 9:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 9:29 AM

Open a new local Pages document, and while empty, save it to your local storage. Now, copy the contents of the other opened Pages document that is causing the error dialog into the new document, and then save/close the new document.

Try opening this just saved document from Pages and if all appears correct, close it again, and quit Pages, deliberately losing the content of the problematic Pages document. You might consider deleting it if you are absolutely certain that the contents are now duplicated in that other document.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 18, 2021 9:29 AM in response to bratsche59

Open a new local Pages document, and while empty, save it to your local storage. Now, copy the contents of the other opened Pages document that is causing the error dialog into the new document, and then save/close the new document.

Try opening this just saved document from Pages and if all appears correct, close it again, and quit Pages, deliberately losing the content of the problematic Pages document. You might consider deleting it if you are absolutely certain that the contents are now duplicated in that other document.

The document [name here] is on a volume that does not support permanent version storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.