You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Small Icons Upper Right?

I have a lengthy document that I have saved in Pages (v. 11.0)

I have noticed some small icons that appear in the upper right corner of some pages.

I'll attach a screen shot with the icon circled below.

Can you advise on these icons, or better yet, how to get rid of them?

Thanks for your help.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 14, 2021 10:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2021 3:02 PM

That is a Unicode U+F036 private use symbol from the Dingbats 2 collection. Definitely not something that Pages would insert itself without inheriting it from copy/pasted source, translating a Word document that contained it, or double-clicking this character in the Emojis & Symbols (Character) panel.

You can remove all of these in your document by selecting just one of these characters, and from the Edit menu > Find > Use Selection for Find. Then in the Find/Replace panel, you will see a different character shown in the Find field and that is ok. Ensure that the Replace field is backspaced full left (empty), and then click the right-arrow to find the first occurrence of the U+F036 character. Then click Replace All. They be gone in the entire document.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 14, 2021 3:02 PM in response to Innov8-1

That is a Unicode U+F036 private use symbol from the Dingbats 2 collection. Definitely not something that Pages would insert itself without inheriting it from copy/pasted source, translating a Word document that contained it, or double-clicking this character in the Emojis & Symbols (Character) panel.

You can remove all of these in your document by selecting just one of these characters, and from the Edit menu > Find > Use Selection for Find. Then in the Find/Replace panel, you will see a different character shown in the Find field and that is ok. Ensure that the Replace field is backspaced full left (empty), and then click the right-arrow to find the first occurrence of the U+F036 character. Then click Replace All. They be gone in the entire document.

Apr 15, 2021 4:44 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks. This was a document originally drafted in MS Word™. Your approach would have probably worked well. I just discovered another way to address the issue and used it prior to receiving your response.

I found that if I made master objects selectable (Arrange > Section Masters > Make Master Objects Selectable) I was able to select one of the icons and delete it. That deleted all of those images.

Again, thank you for the guidance.

Small Icons Upper Right?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.