You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unwanted icons on start page; reading list?

There are several small icons on the start page of my MacBook that I didn't mean to create and don't want. I have four of these unwanted icons on the far left of the menu bar for websites I've visited and somehow inadvertently "saved" in some way. I'm not sure if these are "reading list" items or called something else. The point is I don't want them, but since I don't know what they're called I can't search for how to delete them. They open as windows when I use Safari, and they just clutter up the screen. The icons appear on the same horizontal bar of the screen as the name of the website; e.g., right now the icons are on the same line as the Apple Community site. The text in this bar says "create a new question-Apple Community," and the small icons are to the left. The menu bar above this one is discussions.apple.com. At some point recently I thought I identified these icons and found instructions for removing them, but the instructions didn't work.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 12:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 1:22 PM

Right click those favorites in the Favorites bar and then choose "Delete".

Quote:

• Remove a website from Favorites: Drag the website from the Favorites bar or from the Favorites area into the toolbar, then let it go when you see the Remove icon . You can also Control-click the website, then choose Delete from the shortcut menu.

https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/see-your-favorite-websites-sfri22092/mac

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 29, 2021 1:22 PM in response to NJM55

Right click those favorites in the Favorites bar and then choose "Delete".

Quote:

• Remove a website from Favorites: Drag the website from the Favorites bar or from the Favorites area into the toolbar, then let it go when you see the Remove icon . You can also Control-click the website, then choose Delete from the shortcut menu.

https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/see-your-favorite-websites-sfri22092/mac

Apr 29, 2021 6:54 PM in response to dominic23

My mouse doesn't have a right click ability, so I used Command click and from the menu that came up used "unpin" to remove the icons. That got rid of them. I hope I can remember that next time I accidentally create one of those saved pages. I don't know what key combination I'm hitting to do that.

Unwanted icons on start page; reading list?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.