You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Maps turn off the screen while navigating

Apple maps dont keep the screen on when I use it to navigate in my car. Which is both very annoying and dangerous as I have to unlock the phone every 30seconds to see where I am.

It only wakes up to tell me when to turn.

Can this be set so the app keeps the screen on when I use it to navigate?

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 8:11 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2021 9:54 AM

Hi, not sure what you mean by turn-by-turn.

So basically:

1. I enter my desired address
  2. I press "Directions"
  3. The navigation starts
  4. I start driving...
  5. And after few seconds the display turns off. Instead of being constantly on and showing me where I am exactly every second of the trip.

I dont like that it only wakes up to tell me that in few meters I will have to turn. I want to have it like a regular car nav where I can see myself all the time and my trip progress.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 19, 2021 9:54 AM in response to i_rina

Hi, not sure what you mean by turn-by-turn.

So basically:

1. I enter my desired address
  2. I press "Directions"
  3. The navigation starts
  4. I start driving...
  5. And after few seconds the display turns off. Instead of being constantly on and showing me where I am exactly every second of the trip.

I dont like that it only wakes up to tell me that in few meters I will have to turn. I want to have it like a regular car nav where I can see myself all the time and my trip progress.

Apr 19, 2021 1:03 PM in response to VENOM7000

VENOM7000,

Thanks for clarifying.

From here, do you have an active profile installed under Settings > General > Profiles & Device Management? If so, it may be impacting the way the Maps app behaves. If possible, delete the profile and test the issue again.

If you're unable to delete the profile as its from an employer or school, we'd recommend reaching out to support for whomever manages the device.

If there is no profile installed, or if the issue persists after removing it, we'd recommend reaching out to Apple Support directly for additional assistance.

Take care.

Apr 19, 2021 9:42 AM in response to VENOM7000

Hi VENOM7000,

We see when using Apple Maps to navigate, the display will turn off after some time and you have to unlock it.

To confirm, are you actively in a turn-by-turn navigation session when this happens? Or is Maps open, but not actively turn-by-turn navigating.

The display will remain lit provided it is in turn-by-turn mode, but will dim and turn off in accordance with your settings under Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-lock if it is not.

Let us know if this helps clear things up or if you have any further questions.

Cheers!

Apple Maps turn off the screen while navigating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.