You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

make pages version 10.3.5 (7029.5.5) open to a blank document (or make it work like iWorks '09)

hi all,

i've set the preferences in pages to open to a blank document (shot 1), but it still requires me to select "New Document" rather than opening to an actual blank doc (shot 2).

help.

thanks!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 11, 2021 1:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 11, 2021 3:18 PM

I no longer have Pages v10.3.5, but do have v11 on macOS 11.3.1. When I ensure that iCloud Drive > Options… does not have Pages selected, and I do have a black, blank template chosen in Pages preferences, I can launch Pages directly to the desired template. No template or file chooser is present. If I did have the iCloud Drive > Options… Pages selected, then I would be presented with a file chooser, and if I clicked New Document, Pages would then open the blank, black document.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 11, 2021 3:18 PM in response to Professor Perry

I no longer have Pages v10.3.5, but do have v11 on macOS 11.3.1. When I ensure that iCloud Drive > Options… does not have Pages selected, and I do have a black, blank template chosen in Pages preferences, I can launch Pages directly to the desired template. No template or file chooser is present. If I did have the iCloud Drive > Options… Pages selected, then I would be presented with a file chooser, and if I clicked New Document, Pages would then open the blank, black document.

May 11, 2021 2:57 PM in response to Professor Perry

I'm on pages version 11.0 on big sur, and when I open pages from my dock it gives me a finder-type window and I have to click "new document".

Most versions just opened up the "my templates" window first. It looks like there is no way to change this in preferences.

Requesting Apple's UI team add an option in preferences for this. "Show My templates Window on startup".

They could also mention it in the " Pages User Guide " book walkthrough. According to page 10 of the "Pages User Guide for Mac": "If the template chooser doesn't appear, click New Document in the bottom-left corner of the dialog."

Why would you have to do this? Why is it an if? Does it do it sometimes, and I'm just unlucky? Everytime I have opened the app it shows the finder not the template chooser window.

May 12, 2021 5:48 AM in response to VikingOSX

this worked! thanks, VikingOSX! i'm still running v10.3.5 but it worked.

maybe this is intuitive to everyone else, but i had uninstalled iCloud Drive and it took me a minute to figure out which options VikingOSX's was referring to (in pages? iCloud?), but found it in sys preferences > internet accounts > iCloud.

unchecked everything and it works.

thanks again!

make pages version 10.3.5 (7029.5.5) open to a blank document (or make it work like iWorks '09)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.