You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a older 2015 MacBook Pro which has thunderbolt ( I think 2) ports, I want to attach a new external hard drive that has thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) port

I Found an adapter that goes from thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to thunderbolt 2. But I want to do the opposite.

How do I do that.

I Need a way to attach a USB-C to my MacBook Pro thunderbolt port.

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 9:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2021 1:34 PM

First and most important you need to determine which protocol your external drive uses. USB-C is a connector style and not a connection protocol. Most external drives using a USB-C connector are likely only using the USB3 protocol. I know this is can be very confusing since I'm a firm believer the connector style should have been given a different name to minimize confusion.

If the external drive uses the USB3 protocol, then you will need a USB-C to USB-A Adapter.

If the external drive uses the Thunderbolt protocol, then you will need to find a USB-C Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter/Cable. What you need depends on whether you are connecting to the ports on the back of the external drive or whether the external drive has a built-in USB-C cable that you need to interface with. There are cables/adapters out there, but it requires making sure you have the correct male/female connectors on those cables/adapters.

If the external drive only uses the USB protocol, then you cannot connect the drive to a Thunderbolt port as the protocols are not the same.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 24, 2021 1:34 PM in response to Modocfrank

First and most important you need to determine which protocol your external drive uses. USB-C is a connector style and not a connection protocol. Most external drives using a USB-C connector are likely only using the USB3 protocol. I know this is can be very confusing since I'm a firm believer the connector style should have been given a different name to minimize confusion.

If the external drive uses the USB3 protocol, then you will need a USB-C to USB-A Adapter.

If the external drive uses the Thunderbolt protocol, then you will need to find a USB-C Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter/Cable. What you need depends on whether you are connecting to the ports on the back of the external drive or whether the external drive has a built-in USB-C cable that you need to interface with. There are cables/adapters out there, but it requires making sure you have the correct male/female connectors on those cables/adapters.

If the external drive only uses the USB protocol, then you cannot connect the drive to a Thunderbolt port as the protocols are not the same.

I have a older 2015 MacBook Pro which has thunderbolt ( I think 2) ports, I want to attach a new external hard drive that has thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.