You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Assign Music, Movies, TV & Photo Libraries to external drive

With a fresh look at moving Music, Films & Photos off the local drive to an external drive.

Do we have to move the TV Library.tvlibrary / Music Library.musiclibrary / Photos Library.photoslibrary file as well or do we leave it on the HD?

I ask this because a TV & Music Folder keeps appearing when I assign the Media folder location to an external drive. The 'Pictures' (Photos) Folder has remained empty (except for the photolibrary file (app))

Have looked at other posts and they are all years old. As I am running brand new iMac (M1 Chip) with latest 11.5.2 Big Sur, there must be an easier newer way.

Thanks in advance.

iMac 24″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 9:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2021 5:19 PM

Move the entire library folder to the external drive then option-start-<app> to open it and choose the library file on the new path.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply

Assign Music, Movies, TV & Photo Libraries to external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.