You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicating Project Affects Original Project

I created a video and am now trying to resize the dimensions and trim the video up for different platforms. I select my project in the Event Library and click "Duplicate Project", then I open my new Duplicated Project. My problem is, any edits I make in this new Duplicated Project also get made to the original. I've even tried dumbing it down and copy/pasting the whole original video timeline into a new project, so that is has no ties to the base project, and that still doesn't work. No matter what I do, both projects are edited when I just want one baseline project, and then the more trimmed up versions for social media. I have one compound clip; I read that if you want to continue editing the compound clip in your Duplicated Project, then you must "Duplicate as Snapshot". I don't want to edit my compound clips or anything near them. I just want to edit the duration and dimensions of the video, so I just use Duplicate Project. Is there something I'm doing wrong? TIA <3

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 9:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 10:04 AM

If you use compound clips, you either need to use a snapshot, or if you choose to duplicate the project, you need to do Clip->Reference New Parent Clip for each compound clip BEFORE you make any changes.

BUT other changes outside of compound clips should NOT affect the original project.

Similar questions

2 replies

Duplicating Project Affects Original Project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.