You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is iCloud.com insisting that I choose a new password?

I can sign in to my apple id with my existing password on any of my iPads or my iPhone, with no problem, and Windows iCloud Desktop on my PC,.

But when I try to use icloud.com in a browser (so as to access my Notes on the PC), after inputting email and password and going through double auth verification, I get taken to a screen that insists I "Choose a stronger password".

Why is this happening?

I don't want to change my password - is there a way round this?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 2:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 6:23 AM

Hi dave1946uk,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you’re being prompted to update your Apple ID password when trying to use the iCloud website. We’re happy to help.

Does the same thing happen when you visit the Apple ID Website?

If so, your password may not meet the current requirements. You can read more under “Use a strong password for your Apple ID” here: Security and your Apple ID - Apple Support

We hope that helps.

Take care.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 10, 2021 6:23 AM in response to dave1946uk

Hi dave1946uk,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you’re being prompted to update your Apple ID password when trying to use the iCloud website. We’re happy to help.

Does the same thing happen when you visit the Apple ID Website?

If so, your password may not meet the current requirements. You can read more under “Use a strong password for your Apple ID” here: Security and your Apple ID - Apple Support

We hope that helps.

Take care.

Nov 10, 2021 7:18 AM in response to dave1946uk

As you mentioned - But when I try to use icloud.com in a browser (so as to access my Notes on the PC), after inputting email and password and going through double auth verification, I get taken to a screen that insists I "Choose a stronger password".

If PC is a window computer you can't sign in with two factor authentication , if its a Mac see the articles Tips for creating secure passwords on Mac - Apple Support

Learn how passwords are used on Mac - Apple Support

Why is iCloud.com insisting that I choose a new password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.