You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In system preferences I click on software update. But when I click it starts checking for software updates and never connects (keeps spinning). This issue has just shown up very recently. I have never had a problem before finding or doing an update

In system preferences I click on software update. But when I click it starts checking for software updates and never connects (keeps spinning). This issue has just shown up very recently. I have never had a problem before finding or doing an update.

I tried shutting down and restarting my 2017 27" iMac. Still no luck. I am running Big Sur 11.6.2 and was going to update big sur and maybe upgrade to Monterey.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 8:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 9:19 AM

Greetings Etudekeyboard,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities! It seems you're unable to check for a software update on your Mac.

Test updating macOS while your Mac is started in safe mode. Additionally, you can test updating using a different macOS user account:

Kind regards.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 20, 2022 9:19 AM in response to Etudekeyboard

Greetings Etudekeyboard,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities! It seems you're unable to check for a software update on your Mac.

Test updating macOS while your Mac is started in safe mode. Additionally, you can test updating using a different macOS user account:

Kind regards.

Feb 20, 2022 5:19 PM in response to Etudekeyboard

Apple seems to be having some sort of server issue as I encountered this problem last week even with a clean install of macOS. I've also seen several other posts on these forums with other users having this issue as well for different model Macs and operating systems. One user reported success after booting into Safe Mode which allowed the Software Update System Preferences complete checking for new updates and allowed the user to install the updates.

I have no idea whether anyone has reported the issue to Apple. I know that I have not done so because at the time I thought it was an issue with the Mac I was repairing or our network/MDM configurations. Even if I realized Apple had a server issue, I still would not have tried contacting Apple because I have found it difficult getting through to them to alert them to issues. Apple always thinks the user is at fault and doing something wrong, so I no longer make the attempt to alert Apple. I leave that to others.

In system preferences I click on software update. But when I click it starts checking for software updates and never connects (keeps spinning). This issue has just shown up very recently. I have never had a problem before finding or doing an update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.