You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 2009 11,1 27" - how do I make useable?

Hello

Someone has very kindly donated an iMac 2009 11,1 for my son to use for homework. It is in perfect condition but I cannot get it upgraded past Snow Leopard and that is restricting what it can be used for.

The key issue seems to be that I cannot use the App Store to authenticate any subsequent version of MacOS because the two factor authentication does not work on the Snow Leopard version of MacOS.

Has anyone managed to solve this?

How far can I get the OS upgraded to, I am particularly keen to get to a point where it will run current versions of Chrome and therefore be as secure as reasonably possible?

Any other suggestions to make it useable for a 14 year old?

If none of the above possible, any suggestions for either Linux or ChromeOS - either could work as a terminal for web access for him.

Any other comments gratefully received.

Thank you

R

iMac

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 2:06 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 3:24 PM

According to Identify your iMac model - Apple Support it should be able to run High Sierra which is the bare minimum to run the current version of Chrome. See the following from that support article:

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009)

Model Identifier: iMac10,1

Part Number: MB952xx/A, MB953xx/A

Latest compatible operating system: macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

The following may also help: How to download macOS - Apple Support

For the two-factor problem, the following may help (I haven't tried it with Snow Leopard): in the place where you enter the password, enter your password immediately followed (no spaces) by the two-factor code. The following hs information about getting the code: Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 14, 2022 3:24 PM in response to ReggieUK

According to Identify your iMac model - Apple Support it should be able to run High Sierra which is the bare minimum to run the current version of Chrome. See the following from that support article:

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009)

Model Identifier: iMac10,1

Part Number: MB952xx/A, MB953xx/A

Latest compatible operating system: macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

The following may also help: How to download macOS - Apple Support

For the two-factor problem, the following may help (I haven't tried it with Snow Leopard): in the place where you enter the password, enter your password immediately followed (no spaces) by the two-factor code. The following hs information about getting the code: Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

iMac 2009 11,1 27" - how do I make useable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.