You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Vmware Remote Console 12.0.3 update broke my environment

I need a copy of Vmware Remote Console 12.0.2 as 12.0.3 just took out my ability to connect to my remote vms running on workstation 15.

Thanks,

Ian

Mac Book Pro, Monterey

[Edited by Moderator]

iMac 27″

Posted on Feb 27, 2023 1:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 7:15 AM

ixd704 wrote:

So when I run a version I download from VMWare, it says I have to get it from the App Store when I run it and that it can't run (same version I had before).

Yes, that's because VMWare choses to release it that way. Other software developers may chose not to offer their Mac software that way. My only point was that you are incorrect when you said that "anyone wanting to sell software for Apple devices has to go through the App Store".

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 28, 2023 7:15 AM in response to ixd704

ixd704 wrote:

So when I run a version I download from VMWare, it says I have to get it from the App Store when I run it and that it can't run (same version I had before).

Yes, that's because VMWare choses to release it that way. Other software developers may chose not to offer their Mac software that way. My only point was that you are incorrect when you said that "anyone wanting to sell software for Apple devices has to go through the App Store".

Feb 27, 2023 1:17 PM in response to KiltedTim

It is only available in the App Store, so what is your solution? Linux and Windows are available on the vmware site, but they point to Apple for Apple content. Apple are the gate keepers for software being put on their devices and anyone wanting to sell software for Apple devices has to go through the App Store.

Feb 27, 2023 1:39 PM in response to ixd704

ixd704 wrote:

Apple are the gate keepers for software being put on their devices and anyone wanting to sell software for Apple devices has to go through the App Store.

That is only true for iOS devices. There's lots of Mac software that is completely legitimate that isn't in the App Store. If VMWare chooses that as their only method for disturbing the software, that's because they want to do it that way.

Feb 27, 2023 2:19 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

So when I run a version I download from VMWare, it says I have to get it from the App Store when I run it and that it can't run (same version I had before). My solution was to take the old version from VMware (actually from the Wayback Machine after I got it to download the missing tar file) and copy pieces of it into the new directory and then hack the executable to have the empty spaces and start address point copied from the old code with a hex editor. It is now running again.

Feb 28, 2023 9:28 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Ah OK. I downloaded it from the Apple site and installed it, it then said I had to install this version from the App Store, so I incorrectly assumed that it was the OS intercepting the installation.

Now after a reboot (I am assuming the kernel extension got removed), it fails with a signal 6 error which is probably due to the kext file being removed from the new version.

I have opened a case with Vmware.

Vmware Remote Console 12.0.3 update broke my environment

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.