You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple One and Family Sharing

I recently added the Apple One plan to my account. I have Family Sharing set up so that my wife and I can share purchases (I'm the organizer). I'm confused as to how I can set up my wife's devices (she has an iPhone and an iPad) so that she can access Apple Music under my Apple One plan while having her own library and playlists. In other words, I only want to see my music choices (playlists, albums, recently played, etc.) and not hers, and vice versa. Right now, what I've done for her devices, is log in using my credentials in her Settings > [her name] > Media & Purchases. But when I do this, she sees all of my questionable music choices and I see hers. On the other hand, if I use her own Apple ID in her Settings > [her name] > Media & Purchases, when she opens Apple Music she is asked to subscribe, despite the fact that I am sharing with her ID the Apple One plan. My confusion is that on the What is Family Sharing? page it says "when you share other subscriptions like Apple Music, Apple Fitness+, or Apple TV+, each person sees their own preferences and recommendations — not the whole family’s." What am I missing here? TIA

Posted on Apr 7, 2023 7:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 10:37 AM

Nate McFadden wrote:

Right now, what I've done for her devices, is log in using my credentials in her Settings > [her name] > Media & Purchases.

There’s your problem. You should never for any reason, log in to someone else's devices with your own credentials. You have given her access to your account, of course she sees all your purchases and music choices.

You have also unfortunately locked her out of her account now for 90 days, as it has been associated with yours now.

You will need to sign out of your account, and sign on with hers again in 90 days. Then make sure you have invited her Apple ID to your Family Group. Then she will have access to your Apple Music subscription without mixing libraries and playlists. You will each have independent music libraries.

click here ➡️ Add a family member to your shared subscriptions - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 8, 2023 10:37 AM in response to Nate McFadden

Nate McFadden wrote:

Right now, what I've done for her devices, is log in using my credentials in her Settings > [her name] > Media & Purchases.

There’s your problem. You should never for any reason, log in to someone else's devices with your own credentials. You have given her access to your account, of course she sees all your purchases and music choices.

You have also unfortunately locked her out of her account now for 90 days, as it has been associated with yours now.

You will need to sign out of your account, and sign on with hers again in 90 days. Then make sure you have invited her Apple ID to your Family Group. Then she will have access to your Apple Music subscription without mixing libraries and playlists. You will each have independent music libraries.

click here ➡️ Add a family member to your shared subscriptions - Apple Support

Apr 18, 2023 8:03 AM in response to Phil0124

Hi Phil0124, many thanks for the feedback. I’ll do as you suggest in 90 days. The issue I had originally was that even though my wife’s account is included in our family group, she was unable to access Apple Music with her Apple ID. She kept getting prompted to subscribe. But perhaps that will be resolved in 90 days when we try again to use her ID.

Apple One and Family Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.