You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Macbook Pro keeps launching in recovery mode after update os from 13.0 to 13.3

I recently updated my MacBook Pro from MacOS 13.0 to 13.3. After initiating the update, I left the computer to process it. However, the next day when I started the Mac, it launched in Recovery mode and prompted me to enter my User and iCloud passwords. The problem is that the iCloud ID is not what I am using to loggin the Mac.

I have attempted several solutions, such as restarting the Mac and choosing the Startup Disk, but it continues to ask for the iCloud password. What steps should I take now to resolve this issue?

Additional information that may be relevant:

• My MacBook Pro has had three owners, including myself.
  • The first owner was a computer store, and they assured me that all iCloud-related data was removed from the device.
  • The second owner was a former colleague. He does not have any iCloud look like that.
  • I have been using the Mac for over a year now, but I only logged in using my iCloud account three months ago. Prior to that, I used the Mac without any iCloud logged in.
  • I had successfully installed multiple OS updates, including upgrading from OS 12 to OS 13 and several OS 12.* updates. All of them happenned before i logged in the Mac using my iCloud

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 3:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 8:21 AM

I have no personal experience with new Macs but it sounds to me like you are encountering Activation Lock for Mac - Apple Support

If indeed that is what you are encountering then somebody has signed into that computer and you will need that information to remove the lock. Either that or request Apple unlock it, though that may be difficult unless you have the original receipt from an Apple retailer.

Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. Do this online at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not state what currently constitutes proof. Prior to this new online service Apple typically required the original receipt issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller and documented provenance (so typically it would be the original owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership).

Apple recommends you "Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device" --> Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device - Apple Support

If you still have questions or problems I suggest you contact Apple:

Refer to this document for ways to contact Apple --> Choose your country or region - Official Apple Support

Select your country (also look for "other" regions), then a product. If you don't see one that handles your issue then keep experimenting with selections until you reach one that gets you a chat session or a telephone call and get the representative to redirect you.

or:

Contact Apple for support and service by telephone --> Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 12, 2023 8:21 AM in response to duandz

I have no personal experience with new Macs but it sounds to me like you are encountering Activation Lock for Mac - Apple Support

If indeed that is what you are encountering then somebody has signed into that computer and you will need that information to remove the lock. Either that or request Apple unlock it, though that may be difficult unless you have the original receipt from an Apple retailer.

Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. Do this online at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not state what currently constitutes proof. Prior to this new online service Apple typically required the original receipt issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller and documented provenance (so typically it would be the original owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership).

Apple recommends you "Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device" --> Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device - Apple Support

If you still have questions or problems I suggest you contact Apple:

Refer to this document for ways to contact Apple --> Choose your country or region - Official Apple Support

Select your country (also look for "other" regions), then a product. If you don't see one that handles your issue then keep experimenting with selections until you reach one that gets you a chat session or a telephone call and get the representative to redirect you.

or:

Contact Apple for support and service by telephone --> Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

My Macbook Pro keeps launching in recovery mode after update os from 13.0 to 13.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.