You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am unable to use iPhone 14 Pro Max as a continuity camera on TV OS 17?

Recently updated to TV OS 17, tried Facetime and unable to use iPhone 14 Pro Max or iPad Air 4th Generation as the continuity camera. Signed in with the same  Id on all devices. Handoff is enabled on iphone and ipad, same wifi network.

iPhone does work on mac if that helps

Any ideas?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 4:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 11:51 PM

I'm also experiencing this issue with the iPhone 15 Pro Max (updated to latest software) and Apple TV 4k (also updated to the latest software). Continuity camera is not working. When I am prompted on the TV and on my iPhone to place the camera on its side in landscape orientation near the TV, nothing happens. My camera feed remains black and not matter how I shift or orient the phone, the camera never turns on. I have also tested on a second apple TV 4K and my wife's iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Similar questions

35 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 29, 2023 11:51 PM in response to thatch001

I'm also experiencing this issue with the iPhone 15 Pro Max (updated to latest software) and Apple TV 4k (also updated to the latest software). Continuity camera is not working. When I am prompted on the TV and on my iPhone to place the camera on its side in landscape orientation near the TV, nothing happens. My camera feed remains black and not matter how I shift or orient the phone, the camera never turns on. I have also tested on a second apple TV 4K and my wife's iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Oct 26, 2023 8:51 AM in response to shamik192

I've been unable to use Facetime/Continuity camera since the capability was released in 17.0. Problem is the same as described in the posts above (User not listed on TV; Add User presents QR code; Scan of QR says 'Connecting...' but nothing happens. Just updated to TV and iPhone to 17.1 and, disappointingly, the issue persists.

I did read someplace that this is effecting those who have changed their Apple ID, which I did about 6-8 months ago.

Has anyone overcome the issue and how?

Thanks

Andrew

Oct 9, 2023 1:15 PM in response to thatch001

Similar for me. Works fine with primary user using an iPhone 12 Pro Max. Added an additional user and tried to use her iPhone 14 Plus as a community camera. When I tried to add it on iOS 16, no joy. Updated to iOS 17, allowed me to add in, but black screen and alerted on tv to say mic not working.

also noticed that her account photo hadn’t loaded on Apple TV (could be coincidence). And when I try use Apple Remote on iPhone 14 Plus there’s just a padlock there when I pull down from top right, no remote hmm…

Dec 25, 2023 11:51 AM in response to thatch001

Solved!!! ... at least for me.

1) From Apple TV: Settings -> Users and Accounts -> Add New User

2) Move your iPhone close to your Apple TV

3) From Apple TV: Select the option to "Sign in with iPhone or iPad" (if nothing happens, lock and then unlock your phone)

4) On your iPhone: Select to Connect to the Apple TV

5) Wait while keeping your iPhone close to the Apple TV

6) On Apple TV: Make sure that your account added completely (sometimes there's an iCloud or access issue) and then back all the way out of the Settings.

7) From Apple TV: Settings -> System -> Restart (ie NOT RESET) ... why this is needed, I don't know, but it seems to help

8) When the Apple TV starts back up, go to the FaceTime app.

9) On the FaceTime app's Continuity Camera screen, your account SHOULD be listed as a User option. Select it.

10) It might take a few seconds, but when prompted on your iPhone, accept the Continuity Camera option.

Oct 8, 2023 8:42 AM in response to thatch001

Apple has apparently abandoned their retail policy of “under-promise over-deliver” by increasingly releasing products and services which are simply not ready for the end-user. iPhone 13 Pro Max and 2nd gen Apple TV 4K will not connect via “other” user function. Only the default Apple TV user shows up (iPhone 14 Pro Max). Overall, continuity camera is an absolute joke. I have had to resort to using a cable to make it work on my latest generation Mac mini because it’s simply too unreliable otherwise. Clearly, Apple has been spending its time and resources on other enterprise level projects at the expense of quality consumer level products and services. Thus, consumers continue to finance these enterprise projects with ever worsening consumer products and services. Apple needs to return to the basics and deliver on its promises. Who else is still waiting for the Tai Chi lessons or improved Siri functionality promised years ago?

Nov 22, 2023 6:00 PM in response to TheWrongF

Hi,

I was like you a few weeks ago.

But stopped and looked for the Apple logic’s in that.

You need to login to iCloud of the user to be able use continuous camera.

go to settings -> users and accounts

->default user -> iCloud and login to account. And you will see the magic!

If you have other family users on device do it same for every one of them. Go other users-> iCloud and login to their accounts.

Hope you get it.

Nov 22, 2023 12:48 PM in response to thatch001

I’ve tried all your suggestions and nothing works. Actually I managed to pair a phone at some point clicking on Other… in the Continuity Camera page but it was all black.

I then tried the trick or removing the device (iPhone) from AppleTV settings and re adding it, and now the QR code on the continuity camera page doesn’t even appear anymore.

I’m speechless, I substituted my 1st gen to 3rd gen for FaceTime and it doesn’t work.

Dec 10, 2023 8:43 AM in response to thatch001

Just posting an update on what I tried this afternoon....

Went into iCloud and Removed all devices using my account. Then re-added my iPhone 11 (17.1.2) then Reset the Apple TV (17.1). After restarting, the TV popped a message asking if I wanted to use the iPhone to add a user to the Apple TV; I chose to do so. After several attempts to get the process to complete I found I had my user listed under 'USERS' in FaceTime and Continuity Camera working just fine with the iPhone... Just to prove to myself it was now fixed I turned-off/put into standby the Apple TV then turned it back on again. After that, I'm back to no user showing under 'USERS' in FaceTime on the Apple TV and no Continuity Camera :-(. Clearly it can work and was great for the 15mins or so it was working.... Crap :-(

Andrew

Jan 3, 2024 7:45 AM in response to thatch001

After months of struggling with this exact same problem I think I have managed to resolve it.

The solution for myself was to follow these steps on my iPhone 14 PM running 17.2.1

Settings - TV - and then to log out and back into the HOME SHARING option at the bottom of the TV settings page.

After this I rebooted my Apple TV 4K running 17.2, now continuity camera works every time and my profile now appears under Users instead of just having the option to select others.

I hope this can help.

Sep 19, 2023 4:28 PM in response to thatch001

I haven’t been able to get it to work either. I even did a reset on the Apple TV. On the page that shows the list of users for Continuity Camera - it only shows the “Other” button, which when clicked never works for my Apple ID. I have not tried for my wife’s.

note this is happening on 2 Apple TV 4Ks, both 2nd Gen A2169 model.

iphone 14 Pro with iOS 17.

works when I do CC on Mac Studio

I am unable to use iPhone 14 Pro Max as a continuity camera on TV OS 17?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.