You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How to Convert MOV to MP4 on Mac ?

I am struggling to convert mov file to mp4 on Mac. I have tried multiple methods, including using the built-in QuickTime Player, but the resulting video is either poor quality or distorted. I am looking for a reliable and efficient way to convert my video without losing quality. Any solutions or recommendations of software that I can use on my Mac would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can offer.

Mac Pro (2023)

Posted on Nov 1, 2023 4:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2024 5:50 AM

That makes no sense at all. There is no 'modify' on a duplicate icon. It is exact same; thus, 'duplicate'.

25 replies

Nov 9, 2023 7:33 PM in response to ninfaFP

1.Open iMovie and create a new project.

2.Drag the .mov file into the project.

3.Click on the share button (a box with an upward arrow) or go to "File" > "Share" and choose “File”.

4.In the settings that appear, make sure the format is set to “Video and Audio” and the file format is set to “.mp4”.

5.Click “Next” and choose where to save your file.

Nov 11, 2023 1:48 AM in response to ninfaFP

1. Launch iMovie, click the File menu and select New Movie from the drop-down menu.

2. Click the Import Media button to import the MOV video you want to convert to MP4.

3. Once the file’s been imported, click on it, and click the File menu, select Share, then click File

4. This will trigger a popup window; optionally, edit the export settings such as quality, resolution, etc., then click Next.

5. Now choose where you want to save your video (saved in the Movies directory by default), then click Save.

Hope I Helped :)

Jun 25, 2024 7:10 AM in response to ninfaFP

Adobe Express has a free online MOV to MP4 converter -> https://www.adobe.com/express/feature/video/convert/mov-to-mp4

If you open the MOV in iMovie you can convert it to MP4 when you Share with these settings:

• Format - Video & audio
  • Resolution - 1080p (or other if your video is not 1080)
  • Quality - High - Do NOT use "Best" quality, that yields a large ProRes MOV file
  • Compress - Faster or Better Quality (your choice)

Nov 10, 2023 11:19 PM in response to Nurencekarz

Nurencekarz wrote:

1.Open iMovie and create a new project.

2.Drag the .mov file into the project.

3.Click on the share button (a box with an upward arrow) or go to "File" > "Share" and choose “File”.

4.In the settings that appear, make sure the format is set to “Video and Audio” and the file format is set to “.mp4”.

5.Click “Next” and choose where to save your file.

iMovie wasn't as good as we thought it would be. While it may be ideal for simple film editing, but not be sufficient for more complex projects, and it not be as flexible and accessible as some other software. Do you have other recommendations?

Jun 24, 2024 1:47 AM in response to ninfaFP

I totally agree with Nurencekarz.

To transcode videos, the first thing to consider is whether to use an online video converter such as Zamzar, because they are free and don't require installation. However, they usually limit the video size and are not very secure.

If you don't need to convert a lot of MOV videos at once, you can choose freeware like Handbrake.

If you are interested in command line research, try installing FFmpeg.

If you often have to transcode video and audio files on your Mac, I recommend using a professional program like Cisdem Video Converter.

How to Convert MOV to MP4 on Mac ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.