You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt 3 to 2 Adapter -- Want to ensure it works both ways

Hey all, simple question but I just want to make sure I've got this right before I order the part.

I have an external hard drive (here) that has outputs in Thunderbolt 3.

My Macbook Pro is a Mid-2015 model that only has Thunderbolt 2 ports.

If I buy this adapter, will it allow me to connect the hard drive to the computer via my Thunderbolt ports? I just want to ensure the conversion works in both directions before I order it - I thought maybe a newer TB 3 device might not mix with an older TB 2 only computer.

Thanks for any help!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 28, 2019 12:23 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2019 12:48 PM

Easy answer! It won't work.

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong. That is not a bus-powered device. It might work. I know a bus-powered device won't work.

I don't know if that is a good purchase regardless. If you look closely, you'll see that the Thunderbolt version is only slightly faster than the USB3 version. That is because the hard drive in the Thunderbolt version is 7200 RPM vs. 54000 RPM. I think it is the mechanism that is the limiting factor in this case.

I would recommend this device instead: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/external-drives/owc-drive-dock

You can put whatever drive you want in that, including an SSD. You'll get full Thunderbolt 2 speed. And it will work with Thunderbolt 3.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 28, 2019 12:48 PM in response to RickMcClelland

Easy answer! It won't work.

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong. That is not a bus-powered device. It might work. I know a bus-powered device won't work.

I don't know if that is a good purchase regardless. If you look closely, you'll see that the Thunderbolt version is only slightly faster than the USB3 version. That is because the hard drive in the Thunderbolt version is 7200 RPM vs. 54000 RPM. I think it is the mechanism that is the limiting factor in this case.

I would recommend this device instead: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/external-drives/owc-drive-dock

You can put whatever drive you want in that, including an SSD. You'll get full Thunderbolt 2 speed. And it will work with Thunderbolt 3.

Thunderbolt 3 to 2 Adapter -- Want to ensure it works both ways

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.