You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can’t get rid of an old iTunes account password popup.

Every time I update my iOS I get a popup asking for the password (which I no longer have) associated with an old account. I know I used to have at least 1 app downloaded with that account, but even after deleting that specific app I still get the password request for the old iTunes account. This has been a minor inconvenience until I updated to iOS13, where I had the popup again. Now AppStore fails to load, I suspect these two are related.

My registered account in iOS is my new account, I can’t find any references to the old account anywhere.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 4:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 5:53 AM

Have you checked your purchases history against all the apps/music on the device to make sure there isn't an app/music from the old ID that is still installed.

Purchase History Review

Have you tried signing out of the App Store/iTunes and then back in?

Try a restart.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Try a forced restart.

Reset Device

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 20, 2019 5:53 AM in response to frodo162

Have you checked your purchases history against all the apps/music on the device to make sure there isn't an app/music from the old ID that is still installed.

Purchase History Review

Have you tried signing out of the App Store/iTunes and then back in?

Try a restart.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Try a forced restart.

Reset Device

Sep 30, 2019 8:38 PM in response to Eric Root

I have a similar problem. A few apps (I don't know which ones) on my iPad were originally downloaded using an old work appleID I no longer can access. I have hundreds of apps on the iPad so going through my "purchased" history trying to figure out which ones aren't associated with my current apple ID really isn't a realistic option, now that Apple took app management out of iTunes. When the password pop-ups appear there's NO information telling me what app is requesting it.

Sep 30, 2019 9:23 PM in response to Eric Root

Everything has updated so no updates are hung waiting on password. The Apple support person that helped me in chat tonight said there was no solution other than delete all apps and re download them all. Since apparently now that app management was removed from iTunes there's no way to even get a list of apps installed by date, nevermind a way to see what ID is associated with each app. And no easy way to downgrade to older versions of iTunes.

Nov 10, 2019 7:39 AM in response to karlrehn

This problem seems to be a universal one that no one has any idea how to fix and you are not providing any solution. Both of my computers constantly ask me to sign in to the iTunes store. The request cannot be avoided by canceling, and I cannot log in because I have no idea what old identity or password is required. Changing my "universal" Apple password is also useless. The only thing I can do is drag the popup to the bottom of the page so it takes up as little screen space as possible. This problem is probably affecting millions of people. Only Apple can fix this mess. Asking everyone to remove all apps and re-install them is not a solution.

I can’t get rid of an old iTunes account password popup.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.