You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring from backup

My 27inch iMac running El Capitan recently crapped out and I would like to add myself as a new user to my wife's 21inch iMac also running ElCapitan.

Is there a way to restore my iMac file from my Time Machine drive to my wife's Mac as a new user without affecting her files?

iMac 27", OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 12, 2019 4:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2019 6:04 PM

Sure, use Migration Assistant. MA will migrate all of your data and apps to her machine and create a new account so you don't need to create an account. Simply connect the old Mac's Time Machine backup External Hard Disk via a USB cable to the computer, log into an account and launch Migration Assistant (Applications - Utilities - Migration Assistant).

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 12, 2019 6:04 PM in response to DoctorGrafix

Sure, use Migration Assistant. MA will migrate all of your data and apps to her machine and create a new account so you don't need to create an account. Simply connect the old Mac's Time Machine backup External Hard Disk via a USB cable to the computer, log into an account and launch Migration Assistant (Applications - Utilities - Migration Assistant).

Restoring from backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.