You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini and Dell 4K Monitor: Resolution Question

I have a 2014 Mini with the Intel Iris graphics, and it is connected to two monitors, one of which is a 27-inch Dell display (U2718Q), with maximum resolution of 3840 x 2160. At that resolution, graphics are sharp but everything is tiny (which I expected). The next "usable" resolution is 1920 x 1080. The other resolutions in between are listed as "low resolution," and look as such.

Is there any way to get the clarity of the highest resolution setting but have icons, windows, etc., display at a larger size? Alternatively, is there a way to make other resolutions (3008 x 1692, 2560 x 1440, 2048 x 1080) useable?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Jan 30, 2020 3:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2020 5:10 AM

Generally, digital displays will look best when viewed at full resolution

or at integer fractions of the full resolutions. This is because each pixel

can be mapped precisely. At resolutions in between, the pixels need

to be interpolated and as a result will not look all that good. Depending

on how the mapping is done, it can be blurry or at the other extreme

pixelated. It is just the nature of digital imaging and nothing can really

be done to change that without defying the laws of physics.

This is why 1920x1080 looks good on a 3840x2160 because it is an

exact factor of 2 scaling.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 31, 2020 5:10 AM in response to milaz001

Generally, digital displays will look best when viewed at full resolution

or at integer fractions of the full resolutions. This is because each pixel

can be mapped precisely. At resolutions in between, the pixels need

to be interpolated and as a result will not look all that good. Depending

on how the mapping is done, it can be blurry or at the other extreme

pixelated. It is just the nature of digital imaging and nothing can really

be done to change that without defying the laws of physics.

This is why 1920x1080 looks good on a 3840x2160 because it is an

exact factor of 2 scaling.

Jan 31, 2020 11:13 AM in response to milaz001

Years ago Apple had the goal of making the user interface resolution independent but that hasn't happened. Microsoft has done a slightly better job in allowing users to set different font sizes for for the user interface. For those of us with 'older' eyes we have to make do with some work arounds and one is accepting a lower resolution in some instances. Ugh. A second is looking for external displays that have multiple acceptable resolutions. A third is taking advantage of zooming features for applications that utilities it. For example on my MBAir which has fonts that are a little uncomfortably small, in MS Office I can set the view to between 125% and 150% depending on how tired my eyes are. My browser offers a similar feature but of course this doesn't work for all applications which is why I spent a long time searching for a monitor for my 2018 mini.

Mac Mini and Dell 4K Monitor: Resolution Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.