You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't find my file/documents on hard drive after Catalina update

I'd appreciate help. I update to Catalina and afterward I can't find any of my documents/folders that used to be on my hard drive. Thank you, G.

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 28, 2020 8:31 PM

3 replies

Apr 29, 2020 9:42 AM in response to JAEJC1

It is entirely possible that you did that unintentionally. IMHO, that is an easy misstep to make because of the way it is presented to the user. Do you find "Desktop," and "Documents" folders on your iCloud Drive?

If so, the previously linked Support Article has a section titled: Turn off Desktop and Documents, which you can use to retrieve those files from iCloud Drive.

Apr 29, 2020 8:22 AM in response to Ferd II

Thank you. I dont believe I did that intentionally, and I looked in the iCloud and the box next to desktop and documents is not clicked. After I updated to Catalina, there was a message on my desktop regarding iCloud, so I suspect it is related to that somehow. I just don't know how to get it back on my hard drive. Any suggestions? Thanks, Grace

I can't find my file/documents on hard drive after Catalina update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.