You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dell monitor

My Macbook air 2017, running MacOS Catalina 10.15.4 doesn't recognise the dell monitor P2319H

my friend's PC connects just fine.

How can I connect my macbook to the dell monitor?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 24, 2020 7:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 24, 2020 9:08 AM

ilona52 wrote:

I managed to solve the problem by using a different cable.
i had a mini displayport that didn't work, and now it works with thunderbolt 2 cable
does it even make sense? they look the same

Could be a bad cable. Wouldn’t be the first time. Welcome to the “fun” that is hardware compatibility and troubleshooting.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 24, 2020 9:08 AM in response to ilona52

ilona52 wrote:

I managed to solve the problem by using a different cable.
i had a mini displayport that didn't work, and now it works with thunderbolt 2 cable
does it even make sense? they look the same

Could be a bad cable. Wouldn’t be the first time. Welcome to the “fun” that is hardware compatibility and troubleshooting.

May 24, 2020 8:46 AM in response to ilona52

1920 by 1080 at 60 Hz is the sole supported resolution with the Dell P2319H, with DisplayPort, HDMI, and VGA connections.

Your MacBook Air 2017 supports Thunderbolt, so presumably you’re using that path either directly, or via an adapter.

What display connection path and what adapters (if any) are you using between the Mac and the display?

Are you trying to run multiple displays, or to send all output to that external display?

May 24, 2020 1:54 PM in response to ilona52

miniDisplayPort and Thunderbolt 2 use the same connectors. It is the wires in the cables that are different (I think the TB2 has a chip in it as well).

For Thunderbolt 3, USB-C connector is used. But USB-C connectors can be used for Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1 gen 1 Type-C (5 gigabits/sec), as well as USB 3.1 gen 2 Type-C (10 gigabits/secon). And some USB 3.1 Type-C cables support DisplayPort.

They all look the same, but the wires and/or chips inside the cables are different.

dell monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.