You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can the mini display port of my iMac 2012 be used as an input to connect a dell laptop or I absolutely have to use the Thunderbolt?

Can the mini display port of my iMac 2012 be used as an input to connect a dell laptop or do I absolutely have to use the Thunderbolt?

I want to use my iMac as a monitor for my Dell laptop from work as I am working remotely now.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 2, 2020 3:21 AM

10 replies

Oct 2, 2020 5:32 AM in response to VikingOSX

Like I said many forums say otherwise, here is a blurb:

So, before you go ahead and make your iMac as a monitor for your PC, you have to make sure that you check or have the following.

The very first thing that you would be needing to see is that if your iMac is compatible to use as a second monitor. You have to check on the ports of your iMac. And if it comes with a Thunderbolt or a Mini Display Port feature, then it means that you can use it as your second monitor. But on the other hand, things may not fall on what you are expecting. So with that, you have to check for their compatibility.

1. If you have a late 2009 or a mid-2010 and a 27 inches in size that comes with a Mini Port Display port.
  2. If you have a 2011 and a 2014 iMac that comes with a Thunderbolt port.

Aside from that, there are also some late 2014 models that you can use as a second monitor. But, when it comes to the late 2014 5k retina iMac, it does not come with a Target Display Mode. And for the other things that you need as a requirement, you have to make sure that you have a PC that comes with a Mini Display Port or a Thunderbolt port.

Oct 2, 2020 5:45 AM in response to PatRab

You read what you wanted to read in that content, and unfortunately, some people use the term PC to refer to Macs and Windows machines without proper specificity.

This community, the one that really counts, and unlike your stated many forums, is advising you with specificity that you cannot physically connect your Dell to a 2012 iMac. The virtual network computing (VNC) network approach has been mentioned, along with its performance considerations.

Can the mini display port of my iMac 2012 be used as an input to connect a dell laptop or I absolutely have to use the Thunderbolt?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.