You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family sharing apple watch - unable to download apps - requires iphone

Hi

I've just bought my kid an apple watch for Christmas. I've set it up as a standalone device under family sharing. I've been trying to download some apps on the watch. However every single time I try and download an app it won't let me as it says it requires an iphone, however this watch is not connected to a phone as my kid doesn't have a phone.

Has anyone else come across this issue? Are there any solutions?

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 1:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2020 3:00 PM

Same exact issue here. Trying to add Spotify to an Apple Watch SE purchased for a child. It is linked to my iPhone. Says Requires iPhone and cannot download this app or any other app. “Get” does not highlight. Have Spotify on my iPhone already.

10 replies

Feb 14, 2021 12:53 AM in response to scot278

I have an apple 5 series watch that cannot download any app from the app store from my watch. Every time it says I must sign in from my IPhone with my apple ID. I really want to track my sleep and be able to use this device like it is designed. That feature is really one of reasons I purchased this watch. Please advise how to best solve this issue 🙏. I am connected to wifi and I am in the app store. I am unable to get any app at all.

Jan 29, 2021 10:14 PM in response to Aolo1971

Hi

I am in the same position. I have 2 watches for my kids both s5. Both have been set up with family plan under one IPhone.

The only app I have been able to download from the watch itself is the pedometer. Every other app I have tried doesn’t work. When you press get you then are told iPhone required.

I have tried share all purchases from iPhone and that still doesn’t work.

Family sharing apple watch - unable to download apps - requires iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.