You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 17 A1297 does not charge even after SMC Reset

I've replaced my Macbook Pro 17" A1297 battery, as my old one was not charged and quite puffed. The new battery does not charge and the charging level stays at 1%.

After researching, I've followed the advice to reset the SMC, by turning off the computer, removing the power cable, disconnecting the battery, pressing the power button for 5 seconds, reconnecting the battery, reconnecting the power and turning on the computer.

It did not work.

Does anyone have any other recommendation.

Thanks!

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 6:03 PM

5 replies

Jan 17, 2021 7:19 PM in response to Apple_User_Friendly

The LED on your Magsafe is not lit. Make sure the Magsafe is fully seated making sure that no fine bits of metal are stuck to the magnet on the magsafe port. Also inspect the magsafe port & connector for damaged pins and contacts as mentioned in this Apple article:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203207

Make sure to try another electrical outlet on another circuit.

Make sure you are using an 85W charger, although I think a smaller charger will at least allow the Magsafe LED to light even with the battery disconnected. A smaller charger won't power on a 17" laptop, but it would slowly charge the battery if the laptop is powered off.

If you cannot get the Magsafe LED to light, then either the DC-In Board is bad or you have a bad Logic Board.

Jan 17, 2021 9:02 PM in response to HWTech

I'm not sure if I've pressed any key, as now the battery shows at 100% charge, however, as you can see in the power info, the battery is not charging. I have switched to another brand new Megasafe, and the light still does not go on. Is there any way to check if it is the DC-In Board, or the Logic Board? Or can be something in between, like the battery level indicator (which is now fully loaded)?

Jan 16, 2021 6:46 PM in response to Apple_User_Friendly

Did you receive the battery with just 1% charge on it? If so, then return it as the battery may be permanently damaged.

Try disconnecting the battery, then connect the charger to power on the laptop. Once the laptop boots reconnect the battery and let it charge at least 10% or more before turning off the laptop or disconnecting the charger otherwise you may cause permanent damage to the battery. Also make sure not to have any metal or conductive item or surface touch the inside the laptop while doing this or you will damage the laptop. It is best to sit the laptop on its right side with the display open.

Never let your battery become completely discharged or you will have these issues and may cause permanent damage to the battery.

Edit: The quality of third party Lithium-ion batteries is extremely poor even when purchased from a reputable vendor such as OWC (OWC is the best source for third party batteries). Keep in mind these vendors must properly store these batteries and make sure the batteries never become completely discharged.

Jan 18, 2021 1:55 PM in response to Apple_User_Friendly

There is no way to tell which part is bad without swapping it with a known good part. Unfortunately it requires the removal of the Logic Board to even test another DC-In Board.

Be careful if you are using a non-Apple charger since the quality of most third party chargers is terrible and may lack the proper safety circuitry to protect your laptop and yourself from harm.

Macbook Pro 17 A1297 does not charge even after SMC Reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.