You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos, storage on iCloud

If I create a new library in Photos, am I able to move photos into that library, example if I create a library labeled 2020, can I move all my 2020 photos into that library, and continue storing 2021 photos in the primary library and sharing the primary library among my other devices?

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 8:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 9:29 AM

You can create as many libraries as you wish containing whichever photos you wish. Although Photos obviously only allows you to open one library at a time.

However, only one library can be designated as the system library on a particular Mac and sync'd with iCloud. What benefits are you looking to achieve by maintaining multiple libraries?

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 12, 2021 9:29 AM in response to jay6873

You can create as many libraries as you wish containing whichever photos you wish. Although Photos obviously only allows you to open one library at a time.

However, only one library can be designated as the system library on a particular Mac and sync'd with iCloud. What benefits are you looking to achieve by maintaining multiple libraries?

Apr 12, 2021 9:34 AM in response to Russ New Boy

Hi

Once the libraries are created, photos itself cannot move images from one to the other, except by export/import which is clunky, and you have to choose between original image or edited version.

You can take a copy of your existing library, so you have two identical libraries, then delete old images from one, and new images from the other, and continue to use the one containing recent images.

Alternatively if you want to be able to (more or less) seamlessly copy images from one library to another, you need the paid app "powerphotos"

https://www.fatcatsoftware.com/powerphotos/

Photos, storage on iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.